Sunday, July 23, 2006

In The Best of Company

In the past 2 years I've been taunted and teased by family and friends alike for jumping off the Bush ship and describing our President's administration as an utter failure. But I have to smile on those occasions when I realize that I'm far from being alone. Just yesterday the father of modern American conservatism said this to CBS News:

"If you had a European prime minister who experienced what we've experienced, it would be expected that he would retire or resign."

Tough words. Our presidential system is indeed different than Europe. But political history tells me someone will still have to pay for this administration's failures. And it can no longer be Bush himself. That's why I've called for non-RINO Congressional Republicans and 2008 candidiates to run as distanced from Bush as possible. It appears Buckley would echo that call. He continued:

"I think Mr. Bush faces a singular problem best defined, I think, as the absence of effective conservative ideology — with the result that he ended up being very extravagant in domestic spending, extremely tolerant of excesses by Congress. And in respect of foreign policy, incapable of bringing together such forces as apparently were necessary to conclude the Iraq challenge."

Well said, WFB. So I suppose I'll just continue to be a left-winger along with George Will, Pat Buchanan, and now William F. Buckley. In such esteemed company, I feel better already.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?