Friday, July 01, 2005

You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when not to shove a cameraman

As a Met fan I had almost learned to forgive Kenny Rogers for walking in the winning run of the 1999 NLCS. After all, hadn't his performance down the stretch help get the Mets into the playoffs? Of course, such rationale never completely blots out the image of Mr. Rogers walking Andrew Jones. Couldn't he have just thrown a stinking strike? I could have lived with a game-winning hit, but a fucking WALK?

But I learned to put my anger aside for a moment. In early May I was looking for some pitching help for my fantasy team, and Mr. Rogers was on the waiver line for my league, so, I did what any good owner would do - put aside my personal distaste for the player and acquire a hot hand. And Rogers continued to pitch well, helping to bolster what had been a mediocre staff.

And then he goes and shoves a cameraman and gets a 20 game suspension. And while I am less than thrilled with the prospect of having to replace Rogers in my rotation with Aaron Sele, a small part of me just can't help but smile at seeing a guy who COULDN'T THROW JUST ONE MORE FREAKING STRIKE get the punishment he deserves. In fact you could probably argue he deserves a stiffer penalty, but come on, I can't last that long with Sele.

JUST ONE MORE STRIKE BONEHEAD.

Sorry, it's a tick. But I'm feeling better now.

GRRRRRRRRRRR.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?