Friday, July 01, 2005

I agree with feddie

Feddie at Southern Appeal hears rumors that Alberto Gonzales has not, contrary to reports, been erased from the short list of potential Supreme Court nominees. Feddie is none too pleased with this information, nor am I. While there might be a few people who are completely enamored with the David Souter judicial school of thought, that's not why conservatives voted for George W. Bush. In fact the most common reason that conservatives otherwise bothered by Bush's policies voted for the guy was the hope that he would appoint originalists to the Court. Thus if he were to appoint someone like Gonzales, he would be in serious jeopardy of alienating his base. Heck, I'll let Feddie speak for us all:
Let me be blunt. If President Bush nominates Alberto Gonzales to fill O'Connor's seat or any other vacancy that may arise during his second term, then I am done with him. He'll be dead to me. And if Gonzales is confirmed, I am not giving the Republican party another dime. It's time to start walking the talk, boys. Either y'all deliver on Bush's promise to appoint justices like Scalia and Thomas, or I and others will make you pay for it dearly come election time. And you won't be able to bring me back into the fold with a "Well, things will be worse if the dems return to power" argument, because at that point I would just as soon wreck the ship and start from scratch.
Indeed.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?