Monday, July 18, 2005

Annoying moments in fantasy baseball history

The day started off rough enough as it turns out the blockbuster deal I pulled off to acquire Carlos Delgado would have to be put off another week because my trading partner was unable to adequately plug a roster hole. But my aggravation would only be magnified later in the evening.

Carlos Silva pitches 9 magnificent innings, allowing only a 2-run homer to Sammy Sosa. Unfortunately for me he was on the short-end of a 2-1 score. But here's where the trade failure pays dividends for yours truly. BJ Ryan remains on my roster for another week, and he comes in to close the game.

This presents a truly golden opportunity. If the Twins fail to score I at least earn a save. If the Twins score twice I earn a win for Silva.

So, fellow fantasy owners, I don't really have to tell you what happens, right?

The Twins tie the game in the bottom of the ninth with a single run, but strand the winning run on first.

No save, no win.

But there's still a shot at redemption. The Orioles could score in the top of the tenth, earning me a cheap win for Ryan.

No, of course not. 1-2-3.

I hate this game.

Update: Flipping channels, I watch Bernie Williams muff a ball as I type this to allow the Rangers to tie the game against the Yankees, brightening my day at least a little (along with homers by Inge, Posada, and Matsui).

Update II: Oh yeah, how did I fail to mention the fact that one of my other ptichers, Kenny Rogers, was booked and arrested for assault today. Nothing will be able to cheer me up . . . oooh look, there's another shot of Bernie Williams dropping that easy fly. Nevermind.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?