Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Fenty for Mayor: Can you feel the excitement?

One more for the road.

In a move that is sure to electrify the District of Columbia, Ward 4 City Councilman Adrien Fenty has announced his candidacy for mayor in next year's election. Fenty's big theme: he will "unite us."
"You have told me you want a mayor who can connect and engage with you in your own community," Fenty told an enthusiastic crowd of about 100 supporters. "I will talk with you and I will work with you as I have the citizens of Ward 4.
Then he concluded with this inspiring line:
"You have told me you want a mayor to unite us and inspire us," Fenty said. "And with your support, that is what I intend to be."
Wow, gee whiz. I've always wanted a mayor who will inspire me. After all, the first thing I think of in a mayor is his ability to "inspire." Inspire me with what? I haven't the slightest clue.

Come to think of it, this is just a big pile of horsescrap. I don't want a mayor who will, gasp, "unite and inspire" the city, I want a mayor who will help generate more business for the city, lower taxes, and maybe take a stab at this crime thing. And, oh, maybe not get caught doing crack with a bunch of whores.

On that score, Anthony Williams is actually a pretty decent mayor. He has helped clean up the city by working with businesses to provide a more pro-business atmosphere, and . . . okay, maybe not much more than that. DC still has an abysmally high crime rate, and my taxes ain't getting any lower. But at least he's staying away from the crackpipe, which is an improvement over the previous occupant.

The main criticism of Williams is that he is "aloof" and more concerned about dealing with big business. Well, gee, I wonder why Anthony Williams wants a more business-friendly atmosphere in DC? Could it be that by bringing in more business to the city there will be more jobs, and on top of that there will be greater economic activity and thus more tax revenue? Wow, I never thought of that.

No, better to have some chummy guy who will "inspire" the masses to hold hands, sing kumbaya, and then I suppose go off to Virginia to go hunting for real jobs. I don't really want a competent mayor. I'd much rather have a nice, friendly mayor who will be really concerned about his constituents, especially when said constituents don't have any jobs because all of the businesses have left town.

Anthony Williams is hardly the most dynamic individual, but who cares? He's been a fairly effective leader who has done more good for the city than any of the nitwits who came before him. Good for Fenty for wanting to make us all "feel good" about ourselves, but I'll feel just fine walking down the street without fear of being shot.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?