Friday, February 04, 2005

Top ten songs of all-time

In celebration of the upcoming weekend, or as the French say, le weekend, it's time for another installment of "Paul thinks he's Casey Kasem." Here is my list of the top ten songs of all-time.

10. One, by U2 Oddly enough, I'm listening to "With or Without You" as I type this, and for me it's always a tossup between the two. "One" has the edge because it's such a meaningul song to anyone who knows the backstory. And the Regis class of 1995 will always have a special spot in its heart for it as well. Amzingly, not even the highest rated U2 song, or even song titled "One" on the list.

9. Paranoid Android, by Radiohead As I mentioned last week, it's Radiohead's "Bohemian Rhapsody" (which just missed the list, by the way). I happened to see the video last night, and though that shouldn't affect how I think of the song, it does make on appreciate just how great it is.

8. 213, by Slayer Absolutely morbid Slayer track that is the perfect combo of creepy and head-bangin' intense. And how can I leave off a song that has the line "Absorbingly masticating a part of you?"

7. Layla, by Derek and the Dominoes So Eric Clapton falls in love with George Harrison's wife, breaks up the marriage, and they still remain best friends. That's why I love rock and roll. This song is just perfect on so many levels: great guitar lick for an intro, frantic pace of the first two minues, and oh that piano. Still makes me think of Goodfellas every time.

6. November Rain, by Guns N' Roses This was a tough call. So many classic GN'R songs, and it was tough to pick one. Yeah this song is a bit weepy for Guns, but come on, it rules.

5. Stairway to Heaven, by Led Zeppelin Only number five you say. Yes, it may be rock's most recognizable tune, but there are still a few I rank above it. Still, it gives me chills every time I hear it.

4. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, by the Rolling Stones The greatest intro into any song ever. It also holds much sentimental value to me as I used to run around the house at an early age telling my brother to "play I Can't Get No, play I Can't Get No."

3. One, by Metallica I am amazed every time I hear this song. Whenever anyone trashes the talent of heavy metal artists I happily point them in the direction of this song. The "Landmine . . ." section is quite probably the greatest song part of all time.

2. Wish You Were Here, by Pink Floyd This song captures so much raw emotion and is yet fairly simple. Simple melody, simple lyrics, and yet so powerful. Love it.

1. Bad (live version), by U2 The studio version ain't exactly chopped liver, but the live version from Wide Awake in America is so perfect that mere words cannot convey its brilliance. Even the little change from "walk away" to "break away" (the first time he sings it) is a minor but significant improvement from the studio to the live version. My favorite concert experience is getting to see them play it live. It brought shivers up and down my spine. Absolute perfection.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?