Monday, February 07, 2005

Smashing Pumkins

It dawned on me that the Smashing Pumpkins failed to make either of my top ten lists. While I was hardly trying to make a seriously authoritative listing of the greatest songs and albums ever produced, it is unfortunate that such a terrific band could be overlooked.

I started listening to the Pumpkins, as I suspect most others did, right around the time of Siamese Dreams. Of course I liked it, but it would be an overstatement to say that I really loved it. Sure, there are some great songs on there, but the entire album is merely good. But then Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was released, and my view of the Pumpkins changed.

It is a tad strange that someone who mocks Metallica for changing their style so drastically should at the same time have gained an appreciation for a band that did the same thing. But the Pumkins improved by mellowing a bit. That's not to say that either Gish or Siamese Dreams are bad albums. Hardly. But it is on Mellon Collie that the band really matured and produced some of their finest music.

When the band released Adore a few years later, I have to admit I was slow to catch on, although I was constantly exposed to it thanks to a college roommate who played in the car repeatedly for about six months. (Not that I am complaining of course). But sometime after college I picked it up, and it soon became a staple in my cd player, especially as I cranked out the great American unpublished novel. Even listening to it now I feel as though I am being whisked away to a different time in my life. The album is quite simply beautiful. Inspired by the death of his mother (if I am remembering correctly), Billy Corgan wrote some of the most powerful songs ever to be compiled on a single album. It is a thoroughly depressing - and yet strangely uplifting work of art. (Astute readers might recognize my bizarre penchant for being uplifted by morbidly depressing music)

Their last album was MACHINA/The Machines of the God, a somewhat disappointing album that nonetheless has aged well. This is one thing about the Pumpkins - I didn't really love any of their albums until after a few listenings. It seems they get better with each listening. It takes a while to get used to their music, but once you do you begin to appreciate how great they are.

If I had to rate the Pumpkins, they'd certainly be in my personal top ten (save that for another day). I regret that I never got to see them in concert, but I can say that about half a dozen bands. They are missed.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?