Thursday, October 26, 2006

Never Cross a Tolkien Fan

Senator Rick Santorum (R-Penn.) is certainly in the midst of an uphill battle in his senate race against challenger and tabula rasa extraordinaire, Bob Casey, Jr., and I fear that he may not be with us in January. If I could vote for him, I would, and I wish him all the best. I fear, however, that his defeat may be all but assured now, as he appears to have irritated a most crucial constituency: the costume-wearing, crystal-carrying Lord of the Rings fan base.

Mother Jones details how Santorum stepped in it, as well as how his comments spawned an entire exchange among Tolkien fans about the applicability of the LOTR story line to the present War in Iraq. I do not necessarily disagree with Santorum's analogy regarding the Eye of Mordor (or the Eye of Sauron, or whatever the heck you prefer to call it), but I just find it amusing that a stump speech spawned a raging debate amongst Tolkien fans. (Also, those of you who get as far as the comments at the bottom of the page will note that I couldn't resist throwing my two cents in.)

Now, where are my Magic: The Gathering cards?

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?