Thursday, June 08, 2006

In Defense of Ann Coulter

You’ve got to love Ann Coulter. I certainly do. In many respects, she is a liberal’s worst nightmare. She is a modern, educated, articulate, accomplished woman who is brash and outspoken in her conservative opposition to the dictates of a dying feminist movement. The fact that she is hot is gravy.

I think what liberals despise the most about Ann Coulter is the fact that she also tends to be right a lot of the time. Take, for example, the brouhaha that has erupted over the course of the last few days with respect to her comments about a handful of politically oriented 9/11 widows. Senator Hillary Rodham “My Husband Cheated on Me, So I Should Be President, Too” Clinton (D-N.Y.) slammed Coulter over a few select lines in her latest blockbuster book, Godless: The Church of Liberalism. According to All Headline News:
According to a report by the Associated Press, Coulter writes in [her new book] that a group of New Jersey widows whose husbands perished in the World Trade Center act "as if the terrorist attacks happened only to them."

She also wrote, "I've never seen people enjoying their husbands' deaths so much."

[Clinton] said the remarks were painful for those whom she have known for years after the attack and whose "pain is real" and were "concerned deeply about the safety and security of our country."

Coulter appeared Tuesday on NBC's "Today" show, and stuck by her stance, saying the women used their grief "to make a political point."
Coulter then went on to clarify her broader point on the Wednesday, June 7, 2006, edition of Sean Hannity’s syndicated radio show (cited, along with a general media recap of the Coulter reaction, here), where she stated (in substance) that Democrat politicians and strategists have made a concerted effort to handpick pro-liberal spokespersons whose personal 9/11 and post-9/11 tragedies would permit them to express liberal policy preferences while being insulated from any and all substantive criticism. (For example: 9/11 WIDOW: “I’m a 9/11 widow and I think President Bush is Satan Spawn.” CRITIC: “I disagree with your perception of the president because—” 9/11 WIDOW: “How dare you disagree with me! I am a 9/11 widow and am therefore infallible! By the way, did you see the article about me in Vanity Fair?”)

Not twenty-four hours after the fiery Coulter defended herself on national radio, another grief-stricken lefty kook proved Coulter’s point better than anything she could have offered in her own defense. Michael Berg, whose son Nicholas Berg was beheaded on videotape by the late Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, had some choice words not for the murderer of his son, but for President George W. Bush, with whom he disagrees politically. The exchange (which I heard today on the Fox News Channel’s Fox & Friends) is remarkable in that Berg claims that President Bush is at least as evil as Saddam Hussein and doubts that Zarqawi was actually killed today, or at all. (I do not expect you to take my word for it, but I have had difficulty finding either the actual audio or a full transcript. I have, however, found this, which provides the past news cycle’s treatment of Berg and a handful of his comments. I would encourage you all to note that Michael Berg is running for Congress on the Green Party ticket – a fact that evaded detection by two of the three cable networks that spoke to him this morning.)

Ann Coulter’s biggest problem of late seems to be that she is too accurate too often. Maybe I can get her to autograph a copy of Godless for me.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?