Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Regis Hits Drudge

As a rule, I avoid citing articles posted on the Drudge Report because it is way too easy and – well, that is pretty much what everybody in the mainstream media does. I am, however, making an exception today because Drudge links to, of all things, my high school’s homepage.

My very own Regis High School was lucky enough to obtain an interview with U.S. Attorney Peter Fitzgerald, the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois who is currently leading the special investigation into the alleged leak of Valerie Plame’s alleged covert status. (The article has actually been posted on the school’s homepage for some time, according to my sources inside.) Putting aside my opinion that I think Fitzgerald’s investigation borders on wild goose chase in light of the language of the criminal provisions being applied, I still think it is cool that Fitzgerald, who is himself a Regis alum (I am not certain as to year, although I think he graduated in 1978), took a little time out of his no doubt busy schedule to donate a little time to his alma mater. If his experience at Regis was anything like mine, he owes the school a lot.

I am waiting for Drudge to link to the high school homepage of Mary McCarthy, the woman who leaked legitimately sensitive information about this nation’s efforts to capture and kill terrorists. I would love to know what her classmates thought of her.

UPDATE #1 (Wednesday, April 26, 12:45 p.m.): The article about Fitzgerald appears to be gone from Regis' homepage. I contacted the Regis Advancement Office to find out why. They are working on it and will get back to me. My suspicion is Regis’ humble little homepage was not prepared for the thousand-hit-an-hour deluge resulting from being posted on Drudge and they removed it to avoid any further damage. I can, however, vouch for the fact that it was posted.

UPDATE #2 (Friday, April 28, 2006, 9:12 a.m.): The article is no longer linked on Drudge, but it can be found here. Also, the fact that a high school paper has obtained an interview (perhaps the only interview) with Patrick Fitzgerald has attracted national notice. The Washington Post has a story about it. (I was told the New York Times had a similar story about the interview, but I could not find it.)

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?